Taking a preventive approach to your dental health helps to ensure you keep your teeth for a lifetime while maintaining overall good health. We encourage you to see us every 6 months for a checkup and a thorough cleaning. During these visits, we’ll review your history and answer any questions or concerns you may have.
A professional cleaning is important because even if you brush and floss after every meal and before bed, bacteria-harboring plaque can accumulate in the tiniest crevices, pits and grooves. Over time, teeth can begin to decay in those areas, which can result in pain and partial or total loss of the tooth.
What happens during a cleaning?
- We take X-rays to show us any decay or other abnormalities.
- We remove hardened plaque and tartar that has built up on each tooth.
- We perform a screening for oral cancer and gum disease.
- We check each tooth for signs of decay.
- We examine existing fillings and cavities for any needed repairs.
- We polish your teeth.
In between dental cleanings and consultations, be sure to maintain good oral habits at home. This includes daily flossing and brushing after meals. It’s also important to use a fluoridated toothpaste. We also recommend regular fluoride treatments to help strengthen your enamel and reverse the effects of tooth decay.